“Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens…
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens…”
Surely you know the rest, because The Sound of Music is perhaps one of your favorite things! Charlottesville Opera returns to The Paramount Theater with the beloved true story of Maria and the von Trapp family as they discover their love and talent for singing amidst the turmoil of a country at war.
Featuring Maria Valdes, Branch Fields, Claudia Chapa, and the Ader Emerging Artists, directed by Cara Consilvio, and conducted by Michael Slon, the highly anticipated performance is surely one that will have you singing along.
Before the show opens tomorrow, here are a few quick facts on the musical’s (and the movie’s) history:
- The Sound of Music opened at Broadway’s Lunt-Fontanne Theatre on November 16, 1959, and Rodgers & Hammerstein’s last musical was a triumph.
- It ran for 1,443 performances and earned five Tony Awards, including Best Musical.
- The cast album earned a Gold Record and the Grammy Award. Florence Henderson starred in the first national tour, which played for over two years.
- Jean Bayless created the role of Maria in the original London production, which ran for over six years, long holding the record as the longest-running American musical in London.
- In 1965 the motion picture version of The Sound of Music, directed by Robert Wise, was released, making Hollywood history.
- Since Hammerstein died in 1960, Rodgers revised the score and composed both music and lyrics for two songs added to the film: “I Have Confidence” and “Something Good.”
- Hollywood’s most famous unseen voice, Marni Nixon, here has an on-screen role as Sister Sophia.
- The actual real-life Maria von Trapp has a cameo appearance in the Salzburg market scene.
- Winner of five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, The Sound of Music has become the most popular movie musical ever made.
Source: Concord Theatricals
Dates and Showtimes for The Sound of Music:
- Thursday, July 7 at 7:00PM
- Friday, July 8 at 7:00PM
- Saturday, July 9 at 7:00PM
- Sunday, July 10 at 2:00PM
Click here to get tickets!