The Paramount Theater is Charlottesville’s historic and intimate venue for the performing arts! The Paramount offers unique employment opportunities with competitive pay and benefits. The Paramount Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Paramount Theater, a historic, non-profit community theater in Charlottesville, Virginia, is accepting applications for the position of Accounting Assistant. The successful candidate will ensure that the Theater’s mission and annual goals are met by providing quality financial and administrative support according to the Theater’s policies and procedures. Working in close collaboration with the Controller, he or she will ensure that the financial state of the organization is sound, well documented, and properly reported. He or she must possess superior organizational skills, be a strong communicator, have excellent attention to detail and be able to effectively manage multiple priorities. This is a full-time position with benefits and salary based on ability, education and experience. No phone calls or recruiters please. The Paramount is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Duties Will Include:
- Enter financial information and complete financial reconciliation for each event based on data provided from the Event Administrative Assistant.
- Coordinate proper handling of bank bags after each event, and prepare bank bags for use at concessions, merchandise, etc. for future events. Count and deposit all cash received from concessions within 24 hours after the event to ensure proper cash management.
- Develop a working knowledge of ShopKeep in order to properly record all concessions-related revenue and cost of sales.
- Record all Box Office Statements in Quickbooks after each ticketed event occurs.
- Generate invoices for rentals based on data provided by the Front of House Operations Manager and Event Administrative Assistant. Ensure all invoices are approved by Front of House Operations Manager and Controller.
- Provide weekly and monthly summary Event Reconciliation reports to management according to company policy.
- Provide data entry support for Controller by processing purchase orders, vendor bills, check requests, and credit card receipts.
- Ensure allocation of expenses to proper accounts and functional categories.
- Ensure all expenditures have proper approval according to company policy.
- Ensure all supporting documentation is properly maintained, according to Paramount policy.
- Enter all deposits in to QuickBooks on a daily basis to provide management with current cash balances.
- Conduct weekly check runs and ensure all A/P are paid timely. Scan and file all vendor payments according to Theater policy.
- Serve as Paramount’s liaison to vendors. Work directly with vendors to resolve any billing inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Ensure vendor files are complete and accurate. Periodically verify that current W-9’s are on file for all vendors before any payment is remitted. Assist the Controller with preparation of 1099’s annually.
- Assist the Controller with month end and year end close by ensuring that all data has been entered by the 5th business day following each month.
- Develop a working knowledge of QuickBooks software system in order to provide a variety of financial reports required by the staff.
- Open all daily mail received. Oversee deposit of funds in accordance with Theater and accounting policies.
- Administer petty cash.
- Liaise with Front of House staff to ensure that all inventory items used for Theater meetings are correctly recorded.
- Download the daily bank activity.
- Download and reconcile weekly credit card activity. Follow up with staff regarding any missing credit card receipts or other discrepancies.
- Reconcile contributions detail weekly.
- Generate invoices for Development or Education pledges/sponsorships.
- Maintain In/Out Calendar based on staff vacation request forms.
- Ensure that the office and general areas are organized, clean, tidy and operate in a professional manner.
- Oversee staff kitchen and stock accordingly.
- Check office supply inventory on a regular basis and order when needed.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a bookkeeper or staff accountant role.
- Possess a high comfort level with computer technology, including Quickbooks, Microsoft Office suite and Google programs (Gmail, Google Docs and calendars).
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines and to work effectively.
- Ability to function independently with minimal supervision.
- Team player with a willingness to pitch in and help every member of staff no matter the level of task required.
CLICK HERE to Apply for this Position
The Paramount Theater, a historic, non-profit community theater in Charlottesville, Virginia, is accepting applications for the position of Event Staff. The successful candidate will support the front of house supervisor to ensure that all Paramount events run efficiently and smoothly. Specific responsibilities include event set-up and strike, concession sales, and delivering quality customer service to patrons. This is a part-time position, approximately 1-2 events per week depending on availability and event calendar, with a pay range of $12-$15 based on ability, attitude, and experience.
Skills required include: professional demeanor, positive attitude, effective communication, willingness to assist every team member, effective working relationships, hands-on self-starter with a high energy level, ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment, proficient with technology. Should be CPR certified and trained in ABC policies; training will be provided to the right candidate. Must be available for a variety of events, including nights and weekends, up to 20 hours per week. Must be at least 21 years old, must have a valid Driver’s License, and be able to lift 50 lbs.
Flexible hours, great team, dedicated volunteers
CLICK HERE to Apply for this Position
Paramount Theater Technical Internship Program
Did you know that The Paramount offers a technical internship program that helps those aspiring to the event production industry learn the elements of the craft?
The technical internship program is designed for strongly-motivated individuals who want to gain more experience in the field. Interns have a very high interest in stagecraft, show production, and the technical needs of a performing arts venue. They receive hands-on training through work on show calls for national touring theater and concert acts at The Paramount.
Immersed in a professional theater setting, interns are treated as part of the crew:
- working alongside the stage manager and audio/lighting professionals
- taking part in all aspects of show production and theater maintenance
- learning about operating stage lifts, chain motors, and the flyrail system
- experiencing the importance of working on a team
- gaining understanding of the various departments within the theater and their contributions to its operations
These experiences provide interns with the fundamentals necessary to be an asset to a production crew. Often, our interns become more involved in (and many times essential to) their high school technical departments.
Paramount technical interns have gone on to work at the Charlottesville Pavilion, the John Paul Jones Arena, and for professional production companies; and to studies at PVCC, VCU, Full Sail, MIT, and Harvard!
In some cases, local high schools offer internship and/or independent study credit for participation in the program. Hours are flexible. Applicants must be sixteen years old, and undergo a competitive interview process. Space is limited, and all intern positions are unpaid.
Join the Paramount Team