The Paramount Theater is Charlottesville’s historic and intimate venue for the performing arts! We are looking for enthusiastic, dynamic and dedicated individuals to join our team as we educate, enchant, enrich and enlighten the Charlottesville community and beyond. Please review the postings below and follow the instructions to apply below.
The Paramount offers unique employment opportunities with competitive pay and benefits, commensurate with experience. The Paramount Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No recruiters and no phone calls, please.
The successful candidate will be responsible for all administrative aspects of development activities in support of the mission of The Paramount Theater. This position is an integral part of the Development Team and works under the guidance of the Development Director and in partnership with other Paramount staff. The Development Assistant plays an important role by providing administrative support and participating in all fundraising activities, including donor and public relations, direct mail appeals, and special events. This is a full-time position with benefits and salary based on ability, education, and experience.
Duties Will Include:
- Process donations and generate timely and accurate gift acknowledgment letters and tax receipts.
- Maintain foundation, corporation, and individual donor files.
- Create monthly fundraising and other database reports as needed.
- Manage and update patron, prospect, and donor records.
- Manage electronic communications as needed, including webpage updates and email blasts.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective grants, corporate foundation, and individual donors.
- Coordinate production and mailing of appeal letters. Pull lists and prepare mail merges for Development and Marketing as requested.
- Reconcile financial records regularly with Finance Office. Work with the Controller to assure all donations are properly processed for tax purposes for patrons (e.g. end of year tax letters are accurate).
- Handle all administrative details associated with Development-related meetings (i.e. prepare and distribute notices, agendas, minutes, etc.).
- Assist Development team in ensuring a quality stewardship and cultivation program with proper acknowledgment through appropriate means and correspondences, plaques, receptions, and donor appreciation activities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development and the Executive Director.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Superb proofreading, editing, and organizational skills
- Ability to manage deadlines
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Familiarity with donor software, Tessitura in particular, a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Apps (Sheets, Docs, Drive)
- Must have an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field
CLICK HERE to Apply for this Position
Part Time Box Office Associate
The Box Office Associate is responsible for facilitating ticket sales for shows or events. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent customer service skills and respond promptly to customer ticketing needs. No phone calls please. The Paramount is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Duties Will Include:
- Opening and/or closing ticket window as required. Accurately dispensing tickets as requested by patrons; accepting payment and making change accurately.
- Completing daily ticket sales report. Keeping accurate daily balance report of cash received and tickets sold; balances sales and change bank and submitting cash to Box Office Manager for review.
- Filling reservations for seats by telephone or mail, handling will-call window according to procedures, or other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Filing various records and reports; performing related clerical work as assigned.
- Changing messaging of upcoming events as scheduled by supervisor on the Paramount’s marquee and flyers on premises.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have ability to work daytime, night and weekend shifts
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- 1 to 3 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Box Office or guest services background preferred.
- Ability to input data into a computer, record sales transactions, accurately handle cash and credit transactions.
- Superior customer service and public relations skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have professional attitude and appearance.
- Good problem solving and organizational skills with the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
CLICK HERE to Apply for this Position
Paramount Theater Technical Internship Program
Did you know that The Paramount offers a technical internship program that helps those aspiring to the event production industry learn the elements of the craft?
The technical internship program is designed for strongly-motivated individuals who want to gain more experience in the field. Interns have a very high interest in stagecraft, show production, and the technical needs of a performing arts venue. They receive hands-on training through work on show calls for national touring theater and concert acts at The Paramount.
Immersed in a professional theater setting, interns are treated as part of the crew:
- working alongside the stage manager and audio/lighting professionals
- taking part in all aspects of show production and theater maintenance
- learning about operating stage lifts, chain motors, and the flyrail system
- experiencing the importance of working on a team
- gaining understanding of the various departments within the theater and their contributions to its operations
These experiences provide interns with the fundamentals necessary to be an asset to a production crew. Often, our interns become more involved in (and many times essential to) their high school technical departments.
Paramount technical interns have gone on to work at the Charlottesville Pavilion, the John Paul Jones Arena, and for professional production companies; and to studies at PVCC, VCU, Full Sail, MIT, and Harvard!
In some cases, local high schools offer internship and/or independent study credit for participation in the program. Hours are flexible. Applicants must be sixteen years old, and undergo a competitive interview process. Space is limited, and all intern positions are unpaid.
Interested candidates should submit a Cover Letter and Resume electronically to email@example.com.
Join the Paramount Team