Please visit this page often for the most up-to-date information. Last updated 9/16/2020
During these unprecedented times, this pandemic will leave its mark on our community in many ways. As a nonprofit organization, the Theater, like so many others in our community, has been hit hard by this loss of revenue. With 100 events being impacted by cancelation or rescheduling, equalling hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue from these events, your essential support during these unprecedented times will help us weather this unfathomable storm and be ready to be here for the community when we’re able to gather again. CLICK HERE to make a donation now.
Events Currently Affected
For the most up-to-date schedule of events, please visit our events page. At a quick glance, the status through August 1, 2020 is as follows:
- Charlottesville Ballet Presents: Snow White – March 14 – Rescheduled March 13, 2021
- Paramount at the Movies Presents: Shrek [PG] – March 15 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: Riverdance 25th Anniversary Show in HD – March 15 – Rescheduled September 12, 2020
- ACAC Presents: Jimmy “Magic Man” Miller’s Bracket Blast – March 16 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: Chris Janson – Real Friends Tour – March 20 – Canceled
- VPM Presents: Let’s Go Luna! – March 21 – Canceled
- 2020 Virginia Festival of the Book Presents: Breaking Barriers and Building Bridges: Poetry, Music, and International Exchange – March 21 – Canceled
- 2020 Virginia Festival of the Book Presents: Dark Waters Screening with Special Guest Robert Bilott – March 21 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: Steven Isserlis – March 22 – Postponed
- The Royal Ballet in HD – The Sleeping Beauty – March 26 – Rescheduled October 2, 2020
- Paramount at the Movies Presents: When Harry Met Sally [R] – March 27 – Canceled
- Met Live in HD: Der Fliegende Holländer – March 28 – Canceled
- Paramount at the Movies Presents: In the Heat of the Night [NR] – March 29 – Canceled
- National Theatre Live in HD – Cyrano de Bergerac – March 29 – Rescheduled August 7, 2020
- Paramount Presents: In Search of Haydn in HD – March 31 – Postponed
- Literacy Volunteers Presents: Wordplay – April 1 – Canceled
- The Cavalier Symphony Orchestra Presents: New Horizons – April 5 – Postponed
- Tour The Paramount Theater! – April 7 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: Exhibition on Screen – Easter in Art – April 8 – Canceled
- New Dominion Bookshop Presents: Diane Rehm: When My Time Comes – With Joe Fab – April 9 – Canceled
- Met Live in HD – Tosca – April 11 – Canceled
- Upfront, Inc. Presents: Paula Poundstone – April 18 – Rescheduled March 28, 2021
- Starr Hill Presents: Lake Street Dive – Lounge Around Sounds Tour – April 21 – Canceled
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Cancer Care Center Presents: 2020 Women, Wine & Wellness – April 22 – Postponed
- Paramount Presents: Llama Llama Live! – April 24 – Canceled
- Paramount at the Movies Presents: The NeverEnding Story [PG] – April 26 – Canceled
- National Theatre Live in HD – All My Sons – April 26 – Rescheduled August 28, 2020
- Outback Presents: Nate Bargatze – Good Problem to Have Tour – April 30 – Postponed
- Paramount Presents: The Kingdom Choir – Live On Stage! – May 2 – Rescheduled April 25, 2021
- Paramount Presents: National Geographic Live – Kevin Hand, The Search for Life Beyond Earth – May 8 – Canceled
- Met Live in HD: Maria Stuarda – May 9 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: The Royal Ballet in HD – Swan Lake – May 21 – Canceled
- Paramount at the Movies Presents: All Quiet on the Western Front [NR] – May 24 – Canceled
- The Charlottesville Symphony Presents: Pops at The Paramount – The Stars Wars Concert – May 30 – Canceled
- Paramount at the Movies Presents: Best in Show [PG-13] – May 31 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: Chris Janson – Real Friends Tour – June 4 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: An Evening with Dailey & Vincent – June 12 – Rescheduled June 11, 2021
- National Theatre Live in HD – The Welkin – June 14 – Canceled
- The Paramount Theater Presents: Compass Creative Dramatics Summer Theater Residency, The Jungle Book – Monday, June 15 – Saturday, June 20 – Canceled
- The Paramount and Compass Creative Dramatics Present: The Jungle Book – June 20 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: The Royal Ballet in HD – The Dante Project – July 2 – Canceled
- Charlottesville Opera Presents: La Bohème – July 15, July 17, & July 19 – Canceled
- Charlottesville Opera Presents: Disney’s Beauty and the Beast – July 30, July 31, August 1, August 2 – Canceled
- Paramount Presents: Exhibition on Screen – Frida Kahlo – August 13 – Rescheduled October 29, 2020
- Paramount Presents: The Capitol Steps – September 12 – Canceled
- Literacy Volunteers Presents: Wordplay – September 30 – Canceled
- Russian Ballet Theatre Presents: Swan Lake – October 1 – Rescheduled May 15, 2021
Ticket Refund Policy
We recommend questions regarding show and ticket status be directed to the Box Office Monday through Friday from 10AM until 2PM. The Box Office can be reached directly at 434.979.1333 or at BoxOffice@theparamount.net.
For the COVID-19 public health crisis, all Paramount Presents events have been refunded for all events that have canceled. All postponed events, the tickets have been held until a future date has been set OR ticket holders can receive a refund if they request through the Box Office directly (contact listed above). For all rescheduled events, we have communicated with ticket holders that the original tickets are valid for the new date, and no further action needs to be taken. If a ticket holder cannot attend the rescheduled date, they, too, can have the tickets refunded. Please encourage ticket holders with questions to contact the Box Office directly. We are working hard to meet the needs of each ticket holder in regard to the status of their ticketed event.
For the COVID-19 public health crisis, all events presented by local groups or area promoters currently impacted have also followed the above listed ticket refund protocol.
For the most up-to-date information on future events, we encourage the community to visit our events page.
This brief intermission won’t last forever. We are excited to share a story of hope near and dear to our hearts. Listen below to How Charlottesville Got Its Theater Back, Jane Goodman’s 2002 children’s story about Murphy the Mouse and the town of Charlottesville’s efforts to save the historic Paramount Theater, narrated by our Director of Marketing, Maran Garland. Illustrations by Keith Damiani.
The Paramount knows how important the arts are to our community. We ran a 40-day “Blast From the Past” campaign on Facebook, Instagram, as well as to our Blog, where we posted events from past events while our doors were closed to the community. We invite you to go back and review some of these magical moments at the Theater.
Rock Paper Scissors reached out to us regarding a new program they called “Project Connect.” They wanted to find a way to connect all of us while we’re physically apart from one another. The idea of Project Connect is to generate a series of fun FREE downloadable PDFs to print at home with suggestions of activities that families can do while at home. To download The Paramount Blade coloring page, CLICK HERE. To download The Paramount Stage coloring page, CLICK HERE, and to download the puppets to create your own theater production, CLICK HERE.
Looking for a fun activity to keep you busy during social distancing? We have been creating weekly Paramount crossword and jigsaw puzzles to provide you with a free and fun activity. Click on the gold text below to play!
Crossword Puzzle 1 – Past Paramount Performers
Crossword Puzzle 2 – Paramount at the Movies films previously shown on the Big Screen
Crossword Puzzle 3 – Historical Facts About The Paramount
Crossword Puzzle 4 – Blast From the Past Pop Quiz
Jigsaw Puzzle 1 – Paramount Blade Lit Up at Night
Jigsaw Puzzle 2 – View of The Paramount’s Auditorium
Jigsaw Puzzle 3 – Christmas with Elvis
Jigsaw Puzzle 4 – Lang Lang
Jigsaw Puzzle 5 – Yamato – The Drummers of Japan
Jigsaw Puzzle 6 – Renée Fleming
Paramount Zoom Backgrounds!
Make your Zoom meetings more lively with a Paramount background! Bask in the nostalgia as you sit in the auditorium or beneath our bright blade. Click the images to download!
Images by Mathias Tornqvist and Rob Garland Photographers
STREAM THE MET BROADCASTS FROM HOME!
The Met will offer a nightly series of free encore-presentation web streams that will bring opera to audiences while the house is dark. Tune in to watch at 7:30PM ET! The broadcasts will remain available via the homepage of metopera.org for 23 hours. The homepage link will open the performance on the Met Opera on Demand streaming service. The performance will also be viewable on all Met Opera on Demand apps.
THE SCOUT GUIDE FEATURE
Thank you to The Scout Guide Charlottesville for featuring us! Though our stage is dark, we hope we can add some brightness to Charlottesville residents lives with fun and free activities for both children and adults. CLICK HERE to read the article.
THE OBAMA FOUNDATION SHOUT-OUT
Thank you to the Obama Foundation for sharing our message of hope on their social media channels. Click on the image below to see the full post on Instagram!
Below are correspondences regarding COVID-19 that were sent via email to The Paramount Community. If you did not receive this communication and would like to be added to our mailing email, please click here.
Friday, March 13, 2020
Dear Paramount Community,
I wrote to you yesterday to share that in this unprecedented time of a community health concern, we were in the process of canceling and rescheduling events at The Paramount. As of late yesterday, we were able to confirm that all events now through April 8, 2020 have been re-booked for a later date, or have been canceled. As this situation remains dynamic, we will revisit our event schedule later this month and will again share the status of future events.
In good times and in bad, The Paramount Theater has been, and will continue to be, here for our community. We do not take for granted our role as a gathering place, but your safety is of our utmost concern. Our dedication to our community includes the health and well-being of our patrons, but also our Volunteers, Staff, and more. The decision to move many events took significant coordination from many constituents; our sincere gratitude to all who made this possible. The end result is that we are striving to do our part to assist our community with the responsibility for social distancing, specifically at largely attended events.
This pandemic will leave its mark on our community in many ways. Working together I know we will get through this health concern, just as we have weathered many challenges in the recent past. As a nonprofit organization, the Theater, like so many others in our community, will be hit hard by this loss of revenue. If you are able, we hope you will consider in lieu of a ticket refund, treating your ticket purchase as a donation to the Theater, or the other nonprofits who had to cancel their events here. During this time of event cancellations, ticket donations will help offset the loss of revenue and deficit we will be incurring, the longer this continues. All tickets donated to the Theater will receive a tax receipt for their total value along with our unfailing gratitude for your continuing support.
As I shared previously, the events page, will contain the most up-to-date status of our event schedule. Should the status of additional events change, we will continue to notify tickets holders at the email address on the account provided with the purchase.
The mission of The Paramount Theater strives to educate, enchant, enrich, and enlighten our community. For now, we will strive toward this mission not on our stage, but rather through our personal relationships with our local community. We hope it will not be too long before we can welcome you back through the doors of your Theater. In the meantime, stay safe!
Yours in community,
Christine S. Eure
Click here to read the Thursday, March 12 COVID-19 correspondence from The Paramount’s Executive Director.
Click here for updates on COVID-19 from the City of Charlottesville.
Click here to visit the Centers for Disease Control’s website for comprehensive information about COVID-19, including:
Click here to visit the World Health Organization’s website for comprehensive information about COVID-19.