92nd Summer Concert Series
The Municipal Band of Charlottesville, Virginia, was organized on August 21, 1922. Over the years membership has grown from the original thirty men to about ninety men and women of all ages and professions. The Band will perform six concerts at The Paramount this summer season. All concerts are open to the public at no charge, which is the Band’s gift of music to the City and County who generously support it. Concerts include a variety of marches, classical transcriptions, Broadway show tunes, folk music, contemporary works, light opera and hits from the big band era.
- Lobby Concert featuring the Back Row’d Brass – 7:15 p.m. – 7:45 p.m.
- Doors Open at 7:30 p.m.
- Musical Instrument Petting Zoo for the Kids 7:30 p.m. – 7:50 p.m.
Celebrate the Big Bands
Stephen R. Layman, Conductor
- Star Spangled Banner – John Stafford Smith
- On the Mall – Edwin Franko Goldman
- A Beguine Fantasy – Zane Van Auken
- In the Miller Mood – arr. Warren Barker
- But Not For Me – George and Ira Gershwin / Barker
- Dick Orange, Vocalist
- Big Band Favorites – arr. Bob Lowden
- Benny Goodman: the King of Swing – arr. Paul Murtha
- James Tobin, Clarinet
- The Homefront: Musical Memories from WW II – arr. James Christensen
- Blue Moon – Richard Rodgers / Barker
- Michael Elswick, Saxophones
- Places U.S.A. – arr. Jack Bullock
- America the Beautiful – Samuel A. Ward / arr. Dragon
- Stars and Stripes Forever – John Philip Sousa